May 10, 2011

The beast + provia 400x

It's been a long long time since I picked up the Pentax 67. Recently, seeing inspiring shots around flickr taken from that camera (a serious beast, though I refer to her as "Pennie") compelled me to pick her up again and have a go at it with some Provia 400X I've been dying to try out. There's a lot of reasons why I don't use the Pentax, especially when the Contax (remember, I call her "Connie" - see a pattern here? Oh yeah, my Minotla is "Minnie." I am shamelessly admitting this.) is just so much more user-friendly.

Given how pricey the 400X is, and the fact that E6 processing is more expensive AND the fact that Pennie only makes 10 shots per roll, bad shots can quickly become a big waste of money. Not to mention, the focusing screen isn't so great, the camera weighs a ton and a half, annnnd I have to turn on the meter prism every time I take a shot and the fastest the shutter can handle is 1/1000... er, so why did I pick her up again?!

I guess it was just for the experience of using it again. I love how gigantic the negatives (well, positives in this case) are. At full resolution, the detail is pretty insane. There's also almost no grain at all, although I do actually like the filmy grain of my 35mm. Anyway, we all know it's more the photographer than the camera, so all this chat is probably meaningless!

Here are a few shots from around the East Village and Lower East Side.

Some dogwoods that I grossly underexposed.

I was drawn to the reflection bokeh in the window, but a bit tricky to expose this scene. I missed all detail inside the restaurant.

Ooh look, could it be a properly exposed shot?

I like creeping on people from the sidewalk as they eat. #shamelessadmissionnumber2

Off to finally catch up on some of your blogs!

19 comments :

  1. Not to insinuate that I don't love all these photos because I DO - but you are way too hard on yourself, girl! The first two shots are my absolute favorites, underexposed or missed detail and all. The properly exposed photo comes in last for me. But, again, I love them all, but if I had to rank 'em, your "duds" would be at the top of my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe thanks Kim. I actually DO really love the second one. I guess it didn't come out in the post. That second one is prob my fave in the whole roll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually, the 2nd one is my favorite -- i wouldn't have considered it not properly exposed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to creep on people too.. they make the best subjects

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the last sidewalk shot. Like the fact I am still able to see the shelves in the background inside. Can even see a hand at the bar on the dark side. These medium format would are great. Working myself to be able to try large format negatives some day

    ReplyDelete
  6. the last two are great! I recently saw an exhibition by Mathilde Lloret, she uses a Pentax 67…..her work is very good.
    http://www.mathildelloret.com/site/v1.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Alice these are gorgeous! Even with you pointing out your dissatisfaction with them I still find each image compelling and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful, I especially love the window :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the window shot with curtains is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you talk about your 'mistakes' on your blog. As someone who is just getting into film, some of my photos don't turn out the way I intended them to. But it's still film, so it usually looks beautiful anyway, right? :) I do looove your second photo. I love the light reflecting and the curtains. And I love reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the bokeh in the windows. It's a gorgeous shot, even if you don't think you did that great a job. I wish I had talent like you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are amazing, well done Alice!
    Love the photo window shot with the curtains, it's beautiful. They all have a great mood too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How gorgeous! I love the first shot especially.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually love the 2nd shot - it's very romantic & mysterious. nice work lovely :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool pics. I love the cafe one!

    www.birdietobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. "creeping on people"

    lmao!! i love it!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the first shot! Really beautiful.
    Ciao from Birgitte

    ReplyDelete