May 22, 2011

A case for balloons

It's hard to believe it's only been a week since I was in Philly shooting graduation portraits for my sweet friend, Pim. So much has happened since; much wine has been had, much good food consumed, much merriment made, and now I'm just about a full week behind on picture editing.

We had icky boring overcast lighting that day - great for even portrait lighting, horrible for nice glowy (golden hour-y) shots. Plus I think Penn's campus is just so much prettier when the skies are blue. We did what we could and I'm glad we hoisted these very colorful balloons from an auditorium (with permission, I think!). I'm not sure why the "first look" shot after the ceremony was so blurry, because it was definitely a fast enough shutter, but I like the effect anyway for that moment.

I've been quite lucky in having ridiculously photogenic subjects. :)

9 comments :

  1. Gorgeous photos! I love the colour you brought in with the balloons, set against the beautiful greenery. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful photos. I like the crystal-clear sharpness in your photos, and especially the focus on 24th photo
    It seems in any case look like a very special and beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cute! the lighting is perfect -- gray days can be so drab, but it looks super colorful here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The emotion of the graduation was beautifully clearly captured; great portrait series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those colorful balloons! They went really well with the dark gowns. You're really good at portraits - you should definitely shoot more portraits :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful, your friend is beautiful & I love the balloons :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm if only you were around for my graduation! =P

    great seeing you yesterday!! good luck with your business! i'll be sure to recommend you whenever i hear of people in need of your services! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously a great series Alice. I'm sure they were very happy with these :D

    ReplyDelete