May 2, 2011

No dessert roulette this time

I'm referring to, of course, the first night at Cafe Boulud where we received five glorious desserts that we passed around the table (whoa, check out my crappy white balance then, yeech!). Not that I'm complaining about last week's somewhat impromptu dinner here. I have nothing but good things to say about this place, except maybe the dining room set up. We ended up at a two-top in the middle of the room where we felt a bit "naked." I wonder if we'll ever get to sit at a normal against-the-wall table.

The crowd very much reeks of the Upper East Side, and gaudiness abounds. The food though, is worth the trek (read: cab ride) up to 76th street. I enjoyed a lobster salad + tempura and damn good duck, finishing with the dessert special of the day - some kind of Earl Grey cremeux (? I don't remember what was in this but was slightly disappointed the Earl Grey flavor wasn't apparent). Jimmy had the spring green risotto, striped bass, and a baba au rhum for his sweet ending.

I can't believe this was just exactly one week ago. It feels like months!

Man I am so tired. I started this post at like 7 pm but a migraine got the better of me. Will hopefully be back to coherency tomorrow. I will need to find some good tunes to scan to!

8 comments :

  1. I love your food shots; truly inspiring work! I like how you mix in captures of the ambiance with the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Your last post from this same restaurant was half a year ago and as beautiful as it was previously shot, these new pictures is at another level.


    Aside from being simply better, is it the amount of time you had this time, having a different setting at the restaurant, or shooting raw that made the biggest difference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your white balance is incredible lovely! So glad you enjoyed the snail mail of the Spring Swap, it looks like you had a great partner! I like her blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Great shooting and handling of the white balance. Sorry to hear about the migraine; they suck in so many ways. Take care, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Howie, I think it's mostly that I know how to edit for white balance a lot better now. And shooting in RAW is part of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, yes. This white balance is incredible! Also, I would definitely dine at a restaurant just based on your food photos. You really capture a restaurant in their best light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make this food look as yummy as I'm sure it is!

    www.Longology.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow all of this food looks scrumptious! These are lovely food shots! I just found your blog today. You have spectacular photos!

    ReplyDelete