May 31, 2011

Trials and travails with the sinar 4x5

No wonder 4x5 photographers often refer to taking pictures as "making pictures." It's a hell of a lot of work! We were only trying it out with a polaroid insert, and I don't think we'll be shooting sheet film until we can properly wield this crazy beast. Her nickname is Cindy or Sinnie, and she is an attention whore. While I was at the nail salon, Jimmy took her out onto the streets of the East Village (with a crazy focusing cloth). Apparently more people took pictures OF him taking pictures than he managed to take. Hah.

With the lens at f5.6 at the fast end and the polaroid film at ISO 100, there's not a great range of conditions we can really use the camera in. We did what we could on a tripod in the backyard for these first shots. The polaroids came out awfully blue/green, and we suspect we may need a UV filter for it. Here's how the first one came out:

And the second, which I tried (and mostly failed) to get a tilt-shift effect on.

This camera would be ideal if I had a well set-up studio with very nice streaming window light. It may very well be the opposite of portable. Even though it folds up pretty small, the monorail it sits on makes it quite large still. Oh, and it's effing heavy.

Aha, looks like I'll have to start a "large format" tag. :)

14 comments :

  1. get some fuji 3000b film, 3000iso and black+white should give you fewer things to worry about while you get the hang of it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, THAT'S the camera that he bought last week??? wow! i thought it was a little portable MF camera. really neat, though. have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy owns this?! Omg! I remember using these at school.... did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so interesting. You guys have so much fun. Does Jimmy have plans for a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great vintage camera and it makes wonderful photos. I like the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, what a cool old camera, I quite like both shots & can't wait to see what else you do with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely a big camera! kudos to jimmy for tackling this beast~

    ReplyDelete
  8. is that new? geez grams how many do you have now? will you bring that to lunch on saturday :P cause if you do, I think we will need to feed it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, that is one crazy camera. i can imagine that actually many people shot pictures of jimmy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think you did a beautiful job. they are gorgeous polas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fancy :D

    I've seen such a camera in action only once in my life ata design academy. I just can;t wait to see more from this black monster :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do have a strong affection for the 4x5 but it definitely is a beast. I took one to Chile once and still love what I shot but I'm absolutely positive I missed a handful of spontaneous moments. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete