Jun 6, 2011

Ashley in the west village

My lovely friend Ashley and the Contax met on a blissful Friday evening for some portrait making. The Contax enjoyed Ashley very much, especially her eyes and her hair. Killer colors, both of them.

It's funny because Ashley and I only started talking online in maybe January or February of this year but she's become my go-to person to bounce ideas off. She also calms me down when I'm flipping out (which happens almost daily) about my business and whining about various expensive things I lust after. She reminds me to breathe and carry on and gives me pep talks. She's the best. :D

We got together on Friday afternoon to take some portraits in the West Village. I must have been nervous because I literally did the dumbest things - like when the Contax was OFF, and I was freaking out that the metering wasn't showing, and then having the dark slide in position where I couldn't press the shutter... it was a rough start.

Sadly, a few of the negatives were messed up; one was beyond repair. The one processed to black and white here was also extremely botched. I did the best retouching I could and figured I'd have better luck with a high key-ish b/w processing. It just sucks that I lost quite a bit of detail in doing that.

We found a gorgeous cobblestone-lined quiet side street and had no trouble blowing through most of the roll on that street. My favorite on the roll was actually the very last shot that I haphazardly took while waiting for a cab to drive through the scene.

And just for fun (digital - I'm not quiiite ready to get the timing perfect on a jump shot with film :P.):

Portraits are rewarding but HARD. I really want to get better at more interesting poses and compositions. To me, formal portraits are still much more stressful than still life and food and it definitely does not come naturally or effortlessly. This is a challenge I'll gladly take on though.

13 comments :

  1. how cool! that b&w one -- she kind of looks like angelina jolie there. is it just me? anyway, awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES i was thinking angelina jolie all the way hahaha. glad you agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to have a calming influence to go to. and you did a great job getting what you did; if you didn't say anything, that b&w looks purpose-shot.

    well done! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful pics she does look lovely, but the photographer is great!!!

    I miss N-Y I'm going back this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous lady & gorgeous portraits - I really love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you two are fellow kate spade new york fans :) admiring Ashley's cute iPhone case and camera pendant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, wow, wow - this photos are amzing and the model looks so beautiful. You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful! Love the cab one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so gorgeous. I love looking at portraits the most, they're so interesting and you did great with these :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh she is lovely and so are your portraits!! Lovely work as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful portraits of Ashley! Great job Alice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures. You are just shing girl and should say that this smile on youyr face is inspiring.

    Greetings holiday apartment london

    ReplyDelete