Jun 7, 2011

In the heat of the kitchen

Although I've been to Hearth a number of times, I've never sat at the chef's counter until two Fridays ago (I'm so behind in blogging this). You can immediately feel the temperature difference when you sit at the counter from the heat lamps, so it may not be the best idea on a blistering summer day. It really felt more like dinner and a show, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the hectic rush and bustle when it was peak dinner time. It was quite amazing seeing how a well-oiled kitchen handles that type of stress.

Hearth is definitely my go-to if I'm craving pasta (and/or fish, come to think about it). It's just damn good. No other way to describe it. So it wasn't a surprise that I had a pasta to start and then fish, while Jimmy had a fish to start, then pasta. We were also sent a lovely bowl of gnocchi with morels and peas as a mid-course.

We were so stuffed we actually ordered dessert to-go. Although the light in that area is a bit all over the place, I think it worked well in that full-size portrait shot to create an appropriate dramatic effect.

I always recommend Hearth when my guy friends ask me where they should take a girl on a first date. ;)

12 comments :

  1. absolutely beautiful! i especially like that first full picture of the chef

    ReplyDelete
  2. so inviting, I can smell the food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm that food looks delicious!!! Great set of photos! I feel like I'm practically there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the kitchen action . I always like sitting at the counter .

    ReplyDelete
  5. "damn good" is a great recommendation, anywhere.

    gotta love an open kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that large vertical shot is my fave. wish we had a place like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post - you definitely get a sense of the kitchen atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum!! this is making me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these shots Alice! That pasta looks to-die for. I have to try Hearth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These pictures look amazing! I really liked the picture of the chef as he was putting (what seemed to be) the finishing touches on the dishes.

    I believe your food blogs always make me want to visit NYC just a little bit more! :)
    --Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, Hearth! Tiho and I went there for Valentine's Day last year. I used to live a couple blocks away and could not believe I'd never been before. Some of the very best food I've ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  12. best seat in the house.. love this table.

    DANIEL

    ReplyDelete