Jun 23, 2011

A week of nommage

I've been terribly behind on food posts, so to [over]compensate, here are three recent dinners from a week in June. First up, a casual goodbye dinner at Pure Thai for my grandbig (please excuse the sorority-ese) who is now in India doing really great things.

Can you tell these shots were taken on the S95? :P I actually love this camera when the light is right. And it makes the "above-the-table" shot so much easier. While I enjoyed the fare here a lot, I don't think I'll be trekking up to Hell's Kitchen just to eat there when there are over a dozen great Thai places in the East Village.

Next up, a dinner at Craftbar with some of my favorite people. I thought the decor of this place was very strange and definitely lacking a certain something. The food was solid and all, but I don't think we were jumping up and down about it. (Eh, I think we've all been a tad spoiled. ;))

I did, however, very much enjoy the pickled pearl onion in the soft shell crab dish. Not sure what it says about the meal if I remember that minute accompanying ingredient the most. Hah.

And finally, a large group dinner at má pêche with some super cool new (and old!) faces. As I was going through these pictures, I realized I missed shooting at least a dish or two (like the crispy pig's head). Oops, I guess there's a first for everything. Shooting in large groups is never ideal, but I graciously thank my dining companions for letting me get away with it!

A ton of goodies here. Highlights for me included the potatoes, sugar snaps, and foie gras terrine. Again, this restaurant is a bit out of the way, but I'm really glad for the occasion to let me get up there. Many thanks to Jessica for organizing.

I'm crossing my fingers that my stomach will be cooperating again, or there will be a sad drought of food posts here!

P.S. Seriously nasty "before" shots of the má pêche dinner. Frightening, really.

16 comments :

  1. beautiful photographs :) i absolutely adore the shallow dof

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza on the before shots! I'm surprised you don't lug a grey card around with you - I'm sure that'd make your pp go by a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your white balancing skill is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are making me hungry and I just finished dinner, ha! Great great photography as always, I could seriously go for some Thai right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You HAVE to have like 3 stomachs woman! The food looked amazing. Also, GREAT job on lightening up those shots! I peeked at the frightening before shots and you worked your magic big time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still in awe of your formidable skills, both photographic and gastronomic. And you WB recovery is excellent; starts with a workable original, right?

    Get well soon. I need to be further tempted. How can evil be so good?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the mistake of looking at your photos on a hungry stomach. Oh my goodness everything looks delicious! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm, that looks good. I can't believe the difference in the before shots, you make them look so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks like an amazing spread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Heavens. My stomach won't stop gurgling. I am SO freaking hungry now! It's only 9am and I feel like eating pretty much everything you took a photo of.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice eats as per usual ;) how did you shoot in Ma Peche? They are super strict about it I thought. They are firm no cameras allowed in all of chang's restos. Glad you got it! Screw those no photo rules, they are made for people who put up ugly pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha, gotta love LR's WB! i love it. that thai food looks ridiculously yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great, now I'm hungry.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, at both the pictures taken using the S95 and the heavily post-processed photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still rock my S90 often. Love that series of camera! And I gotta get me some of that strawberry rhubarb bread pudding. Looks so stinking good!

    ReplyDelete