Jul 31, 2011

Brunch at northern spy food co.

This place has been on my radar for a while and I'm really glad we finally went for brunch on Saturday. Brunch in NY is always kind of a shitshow. Maybe it's because most of us are late risers on the weekend, or because it's usually the chosen meal for a large reunion or get together because that's when everyone else is free. A long wait is almost always the case, so I was happy to be seated immediately at Northern Spy.

The space is very bright and airy with just the right amount of rustic feel. I overuse this word but it's definitely a charming place! We started with a jelly donut which was a bit lacking in jelly filling but perfect in the pillowy dough texture. I really enjoyed my kale salad with baked eggs (I had heard a lot about this salad so I couldn't not try it), and especially liked the almonds in it. J went with a much heavier southern comforty dish.

At the end of the meal, after J went to the bathroom, he said to me (knowing my affinity for pretty bathrooms), "Oh you should check out the bathroom." So of course I was like, "Yeah? Should I bring the camera?" Realizing how ridiculous that sounded (not to mention how creepy that would look), I made sure I at least took my phone with me.

And so it was quite quaint and pretty. :)

10 comments :

  1. Hahaha, it makes me really happy that you snapped a shot in the bathroom. Not gonna lie, I've done that before. It was too pretty to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like bathrooms, you need to go to Japan! I've never seen so many fantastic restaurant (and department store) bathrooms. Of note--Ryugin, Aronia de Takazawa, a little cafe in Kobe I used to haunt, the one at Hankyu Dept. store in Nishinomiya Gardens Mall. . . so many to list, so little time!

    The restroom at Steirereck in Vienna was pretty cool, too (thought their toilet paper? Not so much).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a tasty brunch- eggs over kale sounds yum! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This feels so refreshing.. Maybe because of the minty looking lemonade(?)

    I love pretty bathrooms too =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so funny... i also thought about bringing a camera into a bathroom i was in today, but not because it was pretty -- because it was so utterly defaced (graffiti and whatnot). of course i didn't, though. a dirty bathroom =/= good pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what lense did you use for the photos? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @A reader, these were taken on the 50mm f1.4!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looks so yummy! I laughed when I read about the bathroom. But it DOES look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA! The bathroom comment is funny.. I am the exact same way

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband knows how much I love cool bathrooms. He now always makes sure he tells me if there is one I should visit!

    ReplyDelete