Jul 12, 2011

Coffee for one with the hario woodneck

Sometimes, I DO use the kitchen. You know, to make coffee. For anyone who didn't believe me when I said our kitchen was like a four square foot box, here is proof! See that sliver of counter space? Uh huh. That's all there is.

I wanted to share this new-to-me method of brewing coffee at home. We picked up a Hario Woodneck from Dora over the weekend, and what you see below is my second ever attempt at it. That's my disclaimer if you find fault in the instructions. This pot could not be more adorable. I first saw it on Cindy's stream and then in person in her apartment, and knew I had to have one! I like having coffee in 8 oz servings or so, so this is really the perfect size for me. I shudder at the college days I often chugged 20 oz Wawa or Starbucks for those three-hour lectures or late nights.

Of course if you really want better visual instructions on using this method, you should check out one of the many videos on vimeo or youtube, but I thought this would be fun anyway. Lemme tell you, this isn't easy to shoot with a remote and a dark small kitchen. Plus I actually wanted to drink this coffee so I couldn't "pretend" or delay or redo anything. What you see is what I drank!

And enjoy I did. The resulting cup is unbelievably smooth and clean. Think opposite of french press. This Ethiopian Nano Challa (from Stumptown) is lovely and fruity in a great way.

Even if you're not a coffee drinker, I hope you can appreciate the process of making a good cup. :)

15 comments :

  1. Ahhh, where did you get your digital scale from? I'm in the market for one, and I can't seem to decide which one to get based on appearance/features/price! Hope you can help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a cheapo one from Amazon! I would recommend getting one that is more precise. I am kicking myself for not going with a .1 g scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! Between you and Cindy I'm totally sold on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite part: "Let bloom for 20-30 seconds"

    It's such a civilized experience, to brew one's own coffee. Except for the cleanup which just feels like manual labor. But, still........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable post!!! I love the title, the text boxes, the colours, your amazingly cute little kitchen (that checkered red dish cloth included!) your process and of course, your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could do this for myself, coffee tastes so much better this way, but I Don't have the luxury to do that yet. Hopefully sometime soon. Btw, I love your top and the A mug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Especially if you need to re-shoot a step. :)

    As one that acquired the taste for coffee in the military, I really don't know if I have the palate or patience for this. But seeing the steps displayed like this is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks totally delicious & the pot is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this just looks like heaven... the perfect cup. and i adore that scale.

    loved catching up here~
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome tutorial Alice lol. You really exhibited some self control in not rushing through this and drinking the cup. I would have :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I must be a true-blue Portlander now - I recognized the Stumptown beans before reading your closing words. :D

    We have a teeny kitchen, too. Not postage-stamp sized but definitely shoe-box. I spend 75% of my time at home in there. I can barely survive with our teeny kitchen, dunno how you guys do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice chronology of the process here. looks like the wait & effort are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is how I make my coffee each morning! One of my favorite routines. I got a beautiful single cup ceramic beehive dripper at stump town while I was in seattle last. I love how the wood neck requires no paper filters though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Santa brought me a Chemex this Christmas! So happy! I referred to this blog post to see how you made your coffee ;) Thanks for sharing! ps: now I need one of those lovely hario kettles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What kind of burr grinder do you use? Please share!

    ReplyDelete