Jul 18, 2011

On the road to hana

I mentioned that while in Maui, we took the Road to Hana (backwards) and saw some amazing sights along the way. I wanted to share some highlights from the film I got back. [As a side note, I am now completely disheartened by my Epson scanner and its film software. I had a lab scan my negative film this time, and I was so much happier with the color. Meanwhile, I scanned the few rolls of slide film I shot in Hawaii and cannot for the life of me get the scan to match what I see in the slide, not to mention I am constantly dealing with damn Newton rings. I didn't realize how badly I was missing out! Now this kinda sucks because it's more than tripling my film developing costs. For personal work, it's quite a hefty cost.]

Forging onward, this first set of pictures shows the crazy winding roads that are part of the trip to Hana. Around each corner, you sit tight and pray there's no car zooming around at the same time. This road is not for the queasy. I was definitely not feeling so hot by the end despite Dom's careful driving.

We stopped by a quiet black sand beach to admire the view and take in the wind.

This very welcoming cafe we came across was one of my favorites from the whole trip. It had a total hippie-vibe to it and what's not to love about the freshest fruit you can possibly get, wooden crates, and a general rustic, at-home aesthetic?

Ah, to live in the middle of nowhere and be completely self-sustaining...

And finally, some miscellaneous scenes, tropical foliage and signs. Many thanks to Dom who graciously pulled over so I could scurry outside and get this row of mailboxes shot. It's a common scene in that area but I just had to have a shot of it. I keep thinking about how perfect it would look on polaroid film. Clearly this means I'll have to return to Maui. :)

Hope everyone is staying nice and cool today. Gosh do I miss Hawaii's weather!

16 comments :

  1. what a beautiful trip. i love reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some crackin' film shots. I love the set in the cafe! Great work

    ReplyDelete
  4. really lovely images. do you use an external light meter or your in-camera (for the contax)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff. Always cool to see things through the eyes of others. Yes, that road is not for the faint of heart. But there are some interesting places that I really wish I could stop at.

    It's currently a balmy 86F, light breezes, and a few sprinkles floating through. Have a seat, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @athena, I use the in-camera metering. I definitely want to switch to a hand held meter though! I've heard the Contax's meter is kinda a piece of shit. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. picture perfect! so happy to have found you, such loveliness here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. alice my friend, this post is sheer perfection. ... the cafe left me speechless.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite post of yours, I think. It makes me want to pack up my bags and move to Hawaii. I can't wait to see more photos.
    It's a shame that scanning is so expensive. I hope it doesn't stop you from taking many more personal project photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING!!!! Love your photos! Now I want to not only go to Hawaii but after seeing your wedding post at Haiku Mill I want to get married there! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cafe is so beautiful! Looks like you had an amazing trip. I've never been to Hawaii and I'm thoroughly jealous.

    ReplyDelete