Jan 31, 2012

Newest addition to the family

If you follow me elsewhere, you might have already seen my beloved new addition to the camera family. The Mamiya C330 is a pretty fantastic beast of a TLR, and it is my first 6x6 format camera - yippee! Now I've got all the bases covered with my Pentax 67, Contax 645, and this guy.


My initial impression was over how massive this camera was. I really love how big the viewfinder/focusing screen is though. I'm also still getting used to the fact that it's not quite 'what you see is what you get' (a disadvantage of TLRs). For far distances, the difference in what I see in the viewfinder and what I get is negligible, but as I like close-up detail type shots, I will have to reframe to compensate for the parallax error. J tells me I need to compensate for the exposure too with close-up shots because the lens is "slower" for those. Oy!

Anyway, haphazardly shot through a test roll (used some Fuji Pro 400H) around the apartment. As it was a test roll, I scanned these myself and was reminded why I pay so much to get a lab to scan. I had some serious color issues, not to mention dust galore, despite cleaning in between each scan. Pain in the ass.


Looking forward to taking this out next time!

25 comments :

  1. what a nice addition! and such beautiful images for a test roll! i can't wait to see what beauty you create this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful camera :) and great shots! Loving your green lamp -- definitely pops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool camera! You turned out some gorgeous photos with your Mamiya C330!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygoodness, the shot of Avedon is amazing. And yeah, the C330 really is a beast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shots! Such a pretty kitty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome camera! I love that photo of your cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, 6x6, nice square composition! beautiful shots as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, for a test roll, these photos are stunning, what a lovely addition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous camera & gorgeous images :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are gorgeous for a first time !

    http://firstmorninglight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. whoo hoo, 6x6! you got some gorgeous shots with it. and your focus is spot-on. my test roll with diyosa's hassey was so terrible -- focusing with those guys is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh man, jealous! such a pretty camera!! great addition for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay I am so jealous. This takes such amazing pictures!

    xoxo
    Aarean

    colorissue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are gorgeous shots! Congrats on your new addition. Btw, I love your room - the grey+yellow is a very nice combination.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can never have too many! Seriously killer shots, and what a beauty of a camera. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  16. The camera is lovely, but I have to call attention to you duvet! I absolutely adore it. Who makes it!! I need it in my life - Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooo! She is a beauty. Love the shots and can't wait to see more! And, I'm with Karleen, that combination of yellow and grey is absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alice, I'm not sure you can take a bad picture;) Even these tests are beautiful!

    Love the ranunculus!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous shots! Love the self-portrait and the shot of Avedon :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh gosh you have all sorts of film cameras. i'm so super jealous! love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Despite what you said about scanning these yourself, the colors and clarity from this camera is incredible. I do miss my film camera. What I don't miss is the cost of negatives and processing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super duper exciting awesomeness, yo!! Congrats! I've never used a Mamiya C330, but a friend just got one this Christmas, too, and I couldn't believe how heavy it is. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful world in 6x6!

    ReplyDelete