Jul 9, 2012

These old things

You may not know this, but I buy a lot of used clothing. When I was in college, I spent a summer and a semester working at Buffalo Exchange in Philadelphia. I applied somewhat on a whim, went through three interview rounds (yes, three!), and finally got the job of a Buyer Trainee. That semester, I was taking six classes, working this 25 hour-a-week-job, plus working on campus as an Information Technology Manager. I had no social life; yet the busier I was, the more efficient I became and it was one of the best semesters I can remember. Sorry for the digression - I mean to say, I know the ways of the Buffalo. I now constantly clean out my closet, bring the goods to Buffalo to sell, and buy new things with my credit. I don't get attached to my clothes, and can be pretty brutal when cleaning things out. If I haven't worn something in a few months, it's going in the get-rid-of-pile. I hate hoarding clothes I don't wear.

Many people are intimidated by shopping at used clothing stores like Buffalo, but it's one of my favorite places to shop. You can get some killer deals on designer goods. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the tiny Chanel bag that came in when I was working there. Recently, at the Chelsea location, I found this silk Club Monaco top that really screamed my name. If I could own a closet just full of neutral colored silk tops, I'd be quite happy. I also found this black jeweled necklace. I am already thinking I might wear this first combination to an Autumn wedding (skirt from James Perse, shoes from J.Crew). And the second is an example of a go-to uniform for slightly nicer events (pants from Gap, shoes from Louboutin).


Of course, I am also trying to get better at buying things that won't end up in the never-wear pile! Ah, it's a work in progress...

11 comments :

  1. Isn't it strange to think back on our old jobs? It's funny how a fleeting collage job can really shape who we become. I worked as a receptionist at a high end salon and day spa for nearly 3 years: it taught me a lot about patience, interacting with people, problem solving, the power of kindness and of course the do's and dont's of hair care. I also have my days of working at a salon to thank for introducing me to the pixie that I have now sported for about 6 years (with no signs of growing out). I learned a lot about myself working that job.

    You are lovely, Ms. Alice and I'm not surprised that you have had experience with fashion and accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom has been working in the textile industry for 35 years and she taught me everything i know about various textiles and materials. with the tips and tricks i learned from her, i always look out for great quality pieces that i'm able to afford on my budget.
    the silk top is simple, neutral and versatile. everything i love in a piece of garment. since i'm a jeans fanatic, the second combination is my favorite. the necklace is a great find, as well.

    leyla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore shopping and selling clothes at consignment stores. it's like treasure hunting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cutie! I am in the process of majorly downsizing my closet--feels great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like me, Alice. I'm really brutal when it comes to culling. Haven't worn for 6 months? Out it goes. I was shopping at a secondhand store with a girlfriend and she basically forced me to buy a near new Chanel 2.55 flap. I actually bargained it down to $200. Yeah, no kidding. I find tops like yours are so versatile and it'll be the one you reach for again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cutie! Effortless and chic has to be my favorite and I have to say, you wear it so well. I love what you wrote about how the busier you became the more efficient...I have found that so true so many times and as I look back it has been some of the most fulfilling points in my life. So, thanks for the digression!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so feminine, trendy, and sophisticated! i found a top like that at forever21. let's go shopping, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That black necklace is stunning! All your outfits are so exquisite and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so stylish! Love the necklace. Wow- three rounds of interview? Must have been a highly-coveted job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to worry about getting rid of something, I think 'I might wear it!' but I don't...I'm trying to be more brutal. Getting rid of clothes to open up space for new things it's a good way to look at things. thanks, Alice, you reminded me to be more brutal, after all they're just clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete