Jul 10, 2012

Weekend trip, via iPhone

When I saw that it was going to be 100+ degrees in the city this past weekend, my first instinct was to flee. And flee, we did. We took a train up to New Haven Saturday morning, and then rented a car to drive to Vermont (hey, rentals are much cheaper in New Haven). It was fun to do some driving on big open roads again. Vermont was almost exactly like how I imagined it - tons of barns, mountains, forests, wildflowers all along the streets, so much greenery, and actually quiet and dark at night. Looking up and actually seeing the stars is always so refreshing.

On the first day, we arrived at our bed & breakfast, then headed to Bryant House Restaurant for some grub. We checked out a nearby nature trail where lichen and ferns were aplenty. We had dinner at Solo Farm & Table. Quick backstory to this - you might know that my favorite restaurant in the city is Degustation. Well, the chef there (Wesley Genovart) left a bit ago and opened up this place in Vermont with his wife. J and I have been wanting to go ever since. Wes took us out to the garden behind the restaurant and we ate some peas right from it. They were the best peas we've ever tasted. On the drive back, there was this eerie mist swirling on pitch black streets. I half expected headless horsemen to come leaping out of the woods. Seriously.



Day two started with breakfast at our inn and playing with its friendly pets. The little siamese was probably no more than half the size of our Avedon. We hit the road again, checking out a farmers market along the way in Dorset and stopping by Bromley Mountain (normally a ski resort). The views were still beautiful in the summer time - I can only imagine what it's like all snow-covered. Before heading back, we made another pit stop at Olana, the home of artist Frederic Edwin Church, in Hudson, NY. We were too late for the tour of his home, but the site and grounds were still a treat.


Film photos to come. :)

25 comments :

  1. Lovely, lovely photos; seems like the perfect little summer getaway. I have been to Vermont during autumn once, the place was sheer poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its so beautiful there, as my dad told me. he was there for a half week and he loved it and i loved the pictures he tooked, so i'm happy you had a good time there and i really can't wait to see the film photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place! Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know its very strange but every time I see the cute little cardboard punnets your vegetables are sold in I get a little bit jealous. There is something a little bit special about them compared with the plastic we get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet short trip! Await for the film version

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are all lovely but i'm especially smitten with the flower feet insta near the top. adorable! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I MUST visit Olana someday. Looks absolutely breathtaking.

    And nothing beats a good bed and breakfast spot. Its been unusually hot around the Portland area too and Cory and I keep meaning to get ourselves down to the beach instead of being locked up in our air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pictures and stories like this make we want to hop on a plane and roadtrip around America.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the photos of your spur of the moment Vermont trip. My daughter also made a weekend trip to Vermont for the first time this past weekend. Vermont is lke a dream and I think this coincidence is the universe telling me I should go, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice picture Alice. Motivated for a flee this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are so inspiring with your phone! holy shit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, I've always wanted to go to Vermont. Last-minute trips are always fun! Unfortunately I had to hole up in my apartment with the A/C on full blast all last week.. weather truly was insane. Can't wait to see the film photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very refreshing road trip shots! your flats look really comfortable and stylish at the same time. what's the brand?

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful. can't wait to see the film ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You need to send some heatwave over here. It's ridiculously cold here. I love the spontaneity of your trip. Those are the best. I'm hoping to see a bit more of the UK this year. I'm ashamed to say I barely even scratched the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These photos are stunning! You are amazing with your iphone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks like you had a lovely trip, love the meadow/hills photos

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pictures! I'm obsessed with the camera on the 4S, it takes amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a picturesque weekend... I just read you have a cat Avedon we just got a little kitten who arrived last week and yep we named it Avedon how funny!1
    Hope moving is not toooo stressful
    Carla x

    ReplyDelete
  20. i think one of the reasons why i want an iphone so much is because of the potential it has when it comes to simple photography. love this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos from iphone! BTW, how did you find out about Olana? It is indeed beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are great; very sound of music-esque! Love that picture with the curled up cat - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looked like a great trip away from the city. Beautiful landscapes. I especially love those fluffy clouds. Amazing captures with your iphone! Looking foward to see your film version.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I knew that these pictures would look familiar because I live around the Manchester area, but upon further inspection I have been able to pin down an exact location; a place that I drive by every week. It's a beautiful area, and I'm glad that you could enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete