Nov 6, 2012

A week offline

Hello - it's been a while. Last Sunday, before the storm, J and I, along with a reluctant Avedon, evacuated our apartment under mandatory orders. I wasn't sure what to expect. I assumed the power would go out and maybe we'd lose water. But I was expecting things would be fine after the storm passed. As some of you know, I live VERY close to the water. So close that, in fact, our street and building experienced heavy flooding, about 5-6 feet during the surge. Every ground floor apartment and business establishment in the neighborhood sustained pretty bad flooding damage.

We were lucky. Despite that we went a full week without power, heat, or hot water (well they're still working on that one), we are among the lucky.

Before the power came on yesterday evening, I was in pretty low spirits. My body ached from walking all over the city during the day time to avoid being in our depressing apartment, I was incredibly anxious about all the work I was missing out on and all the emails that needed my attention, and I was just damned tired of breathing in so many candle fumes. Then the fridge started to buzz and there was an energy in the air. I was very cautiously optimistic, afraid that if I exclaimed that the power was back on, it'd go away.

But now that I'm slowly getting back in the swing of things, I am incredibly thankful that I still have a place to call home. My little apartment is still standing and well. I can't even imagine having to rebuild from scratch and I feel terrible for those who lost everything.


Thank you to everyone who emailed or tweeted or got in touch with concerns. It's so so good to be back!

18 comments :

  1. So glad to hear you, J and Avedon made it through the hurricane safely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear that you're safe!! i truely love your house it looks sooo perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're ok! On the plus side, all that walking = new 6-pack abs, right? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Alice, what a relief! So glad to read that you and your apartment are OK. One week without power, heat and hot water, but you made it! Time to celebrate with refrigerated foods and hopefully a warm bath soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been watching your tweets this past week... So glad you're alright! (The building where I work is on Board, and yeah, things are crazy over in that area.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your apartment...and kitty were safe!!
    It didn't touch us much in our area, thankfully.
    Eat Cake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been thinking about you, Alice! Glad to hear your power is back up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an absolute relief to finally have power...btw you have such a gorgeous apartment.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its so good to see you back Alice. everything looks prefect, as always !
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad to hear that you guys made it through ok & that you've got power back (hope your hot water is on the go soon) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are lucky nothing happened to your apartment!! And what a lovely place!! Am glad you're back up and running so I can check out more posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're all ok Alice! I'm totally in love with that grey wall, such a nice addition to the space. Bet you're enjoying power & heating again

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found you from Kinfolk, and happy to hear you are okay. Things will be back to normal in time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! Glad you are back, and that the apartment is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, you! So glad to see you back online! One day, when I'm in the city, let's have coffee, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you made it through Sandy alright! Your apartment totally rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy you finally got power back on!

    ReplyDelete