Nov 18, 2014

A Boy Named Sue Lookbook

Ah, Hong Kong, you feel like such a far away dream at this point. Was I actually there, some 8000 miles from here, just a hair over two weeks ago? I'm still a bit out of sorts having just come back from the Caribbean and attempting to regather myself in sub 30-degree temperatures. But yes, Hong Kong – when an opportunity comes up to travel to a cool city I've never been to and it involves style and food and great hotels, I get on that shit.

Tania and Sam, the co-founders of e-boutique A Boy Named Sue, gave me just that opportunity. Their shop promotes the idea of "cool clothes with a conscience" by offering sustainably made clothes that are ethically manufactured and in most cases, made with innovative eco materials. They wanted to shed the hippie/granola perception that eco fashion can often come with. The resulting look of the pieces they carry is contemporary and slightly tomboyish. So the three of us got together and shot a lookbook, only I wasn't the one holding the camera! When I got onboard with the lookbook, I didn't know exactly how much I'd be in front of the camera. It ain't easy. I definitely do not know my angles or how to not have a bitch/angry resting face. Sam worked wonders wielding my camera and was a great art director. We explored and shot at some super photogenic spots like the Asia Society Hong Kong Center, Chi Lin Nunnery, The Upper House hotel, and Syut by tfvsjs (don't ask me how to pronounce that).

As for Hong Kong, I have many other thoughts but may need to save them for a future post. The city's density was staggering yet it didn't really feel crowded. I am already scheming of how I can get back there because my short time there was such a tease. And I would kill for some prawn wonton noodle soup right now. And how I miss those congee and dim sum breakfasts.

Are we ready for this behemoth post? Let's begin.








Look 1: Kaarem wind chime top, Ace & Jig obsidian wrap skirt
Look 2: Kaarem open back dress





Look 3: Ace & Jig obsidian cardi jacket
Look 4: Amour Vert petrice playsuit





Look 5: Collective raglan sweatshirt
Look 6: Hien Le blouse








Look 7: Kaarem wind chime top, Hien Le vegan leather skirt
Look 8: Kaarem chance drape top
Look 9: Amour Vert libby silk dress







Look 10: SVILU dust pink sweater
Look 11: Maska helga sweater, Amour Vert rosie polka dot pants







Look 12: Kaarem wind chime top, Obakki plum box pleat skirt
Look 13: The Sway byron leather jacket, Kaarem three leaf dolman top
Look 14: Kaarem wind chime top, Hien Le vegan leather skirt

The brilliant Mina Park also hosted us and other friends for a lunch at her beautiful light-filled apartment. This gal is a talented jack-of-all-trades and made us an glorious spread of hamachi, ddukbokki, pork tacos, and chocolate cake. When she's not kicking ass at corporate life, she runs a project called Sook to bring communities together over food. It was very cool to have lunch with such an international crowd – NYC is diverse and all, but not quite like that was. I've highlighted a few more A Boy Named Sue pieces below.






Links to products shown: (one) Ace & Jig bonfire quilted sweatshirt, (two) Ace & Jig obsidian chalet dress, (three) SVILU dust pink sweater, (four) Ace & Jig royal cardi jacket, (five) SVILU chalk plaid skirt and A Question Of night rider boxy tee, (six) Kaarem wind chime top and Hien Le vegan leather skirt

If you couldn't tell, we're all big fans of the Kaarem wind chime top ;). That's easily a piece I would have multiple colors of in my wardrobe. A huge thank you to Tania and Sam for being wonderful hosts and giving me this first taste of Hong Kong. P.S. You can get 20% off your order until Friday with the code 'gettingold' in celebration of the shop's two-year mark!

[All images of me by Sam, edited by me. Other photos by me.]

27 comments :

  1. What a great opportunity! Amazing shoot location and beautiful clothes. I couldn't click on that open-back dress and wishlist it fast enough. I'd never heard of this boutique before, but I am in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! I love every single look on you. They are all very minimalistic chic and very you. :P

    Shall We Sasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. the photoshoot looks amazing, and you really do a great job selling the brand and the clothes- all of those look great on you!
    VISIT / 13 FRIDAYS

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really cool to see you in some different, non-neutral looks. Color suits you! I hope you purchased some of those items...you look great in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your looks! Definitely add modeling into your resume. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing pictures and looks!!!. Muakes from Seville (Spain)!!.
    http://openingwindowsculture.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning photos and beautiful clothing. And how genius of them to cast you as a model--you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful lookbook and agree with comments above^^^, you're a natural in front of the camera! I admire their conscience clothing mission and am always looking out for companies like ABNS! I especially loved the hien le vegan leather skirt. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shots. Crisp and clean cut. Love the simplicity and understated elegance of the outfits.

    Victoria Falls | Lunch on Livingstone Island

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely post. You are incredibly stunning and the lookbook is beautiful!

    - Fae

    ReplyDelete
  11. so lovely! looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. alice! i'm speechless. the pictures are SO beautiful and you look gorgeous!
    sounds like you had a great time in hk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wonderful! The colours and composition and everything are top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's not fair that the wind chime and chance drape tops are already out of stock. I might have to stalk the site until they have them on stock again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful collection, I love all of them! Well done, Alice!

    Sophia // sophiebysophia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's just not enough words to say how gorgeous I find this lookbook! Alice, you make an amazing model and the photography is so awe-inspiring :)

    http://taleofthegreat.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful! Where are your gorgeous two-tone pumps from?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You bring out the beauty of the outfit, simple, chic and classy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos seriously make me want to cry. So incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos! Can I ask where the plaid pants are from in Look 10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're theory! And on sale right now: http://bit.ly/1Fn48hd

      Delete
  21. Loved this collab! All my fave ppl xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah dear!! These days, students also considering photography as their profession because trend of hiring professional photographer is increasing day by day. Port Macquarie Photographer is one of famous and popular professional photographer in Australia. I have booked him already 2 months ago for my wedding photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love every one of these outfits! May I ask where your shoes are from? I absolutely love the chunky stacked heel and the fact that they have a completely different profile from the front and side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The shoes are Chloe from last year. But they might have some similar wedge options in current seasons.

      Delete